EVALUATION - MARKETING CAMPAIGN FOR 'TEXTUAL CHEMISTRY'
How do your products represent social groups or issues?
How do the elements of your production work together to create a sense of branding?
How do your products engage with the audience?
How did your research inform your products and the way they use or challenge conventions?
How do your products represent social groups or issues?
In my marketing campaign for 'Textual Chemistry, I have focused on the representation of gender, and age. These representations are central to the romantic comedy genre and shape how audiences interpret characters and relate to the story and their character arcs.
In romantic comedies, these representations are particularly important as they traditionally follow the narrative of a male and female protagonist and their relationship evolving - even though in recent times their have been some role reversals of gender stereotypes, and their have been a number of rom-coms featuring older characters finding love, my research showed me that the genre is very conservative when it comes to the representation of gnder and age; rom-coms more often feature heterosexual romance, with the genders conforming to stereotypes, and young characters either in their late teens or 20s/30s.
In many ways I have chosen to reflect these common patterns within the genre, and to a degree my film and its marketing campaign conforms to these conventions, having as my central characters, teenagers who are involved in a heterosexual relationship. Age is also important in the genre as it creates a target audience that can relate to the story.
My target audience is the 15-24 demographic, a comon target audience for Hollywood films, including those from the romantic comedy genre, and I have even decided to give my film a 12A certificate so that it might appeal to spectators under the age of 15. My narrative focuses on miscommunication via text, and as communicating this way is so ubiquitous in the teen demographic, by incorporating modern technology and communication as a central theme of my narrative, I hoped that the younger generation and target audience are drawn to watching it.
Traditionally, romantic comedies have relied on gender stereotypes, with male characters often portrayed as confident, dominant and popular, while female characters are depicted as more passive, emotional and in need of a ‘transformation’. This can be seen in older films such as ‘Pretty Woman’ or ‘She's all That’ where the female character's journey is often centred around change or acceptance.
In 'Textual Chemistry', whilst I conform to some of these conventions, I also challenge them. The male protagonist, Luke, initially fits the archetype of the ‘popular,’ ‘golden boy’, similar to characters seen in ‘10 Things I Hate About You’ or ‘The Kissing Booth’.
He is socially confident and well-liked, which aligns with stereotypical representations of masculinity in teen romantic comedies. However, through the texting interactions, I reveal a more emotionally open and vulnerable side to his character. This challenges the idea that male characters must always be dominant and emotionally detached.
The female protagonist, Amy, on the other hand is introduced as a nerdy, scatty and unpopular character, which aligns with common topes in films like ‘Shes All That’. However, rather than portraying her as someone who needs to change in order to be accepted, I present her as intelligent, witty and perceptive.
Her ability to express herself confidently and ‘find her perfect man’ without having to change herself reflects modern representations of female empowerment. This is similar to Lara Jean in ‘To All the Boys I've Loved Before’, a romantic comedy that I took inspiration from.
Additionally, my film explores the social issue of digital communication and identity, which is highly relevant to modern audiences, particularly digital natives like teens and those in their 20s. The entire narrative of 'Textual Chemistry' is built around a “wrong number” texting scenario, highlighting how relationships have now changed in the digital era, and can form online, way before physical interaction.
This reflects real-life experiences for many young people and is similar to how ‘Sierra Burgess is a Loser’ explores identity and relationships through anonymous online communication. By focusing on texting, I also explore themes of miscommunication and anonymity, which are key aspects of modern teenage life. These themes also connect to the romantic comedy genre, where miscommunications are central to the narrative and bring lighthearted comedy for the audience.
Overall, my representations aim to reflect a more realistic and modern portrayal of young people and relationships, both good and bad, whilst still engaging with familiar romantic comedy conventions. This balance allows the audience to recognise the genre while also relating to the characters and themes on a deeper level.
How do the elements of your production work together to create a sense of branding?
Creating a strong and consistent sense of branding across my marketing campaign was essential in ensuring that 'Textual Chemistry' would be easily recognisable and appealing to its target audience. From my research into successful film marketing campaigns, such as the highly coordinated campaign for Barbie, I found that consistency across all media platforms is crucial in building a strong brand identity.
One of the key ways I achieved this was through a consistent visual style and colour palette. I used soft pastel tones, particularly pinks and whites, which are commonly associated with romance, youth, and light heartedness.
These colours are frequently used in romantic comedy marketing, as seen in films like 'The Kissing Booth' and 'To All the Boys I’ve Loved Before', and help to immediately signal genre to the audience.
Another important element of branding is the use of text message style graphics, which directly reflect the central concept of my film. This is a unique feature of my campaign and helps to differentiate it from more traditional rom-com marketing.
The texting theme is consistently used across the trailers, poster, and social media page, creating a clear identity. For example, my poster features messaging graphics and heart emojis, while the social media posts replicate real text conversations, reinforcing the film’s concept.
The title “Textual Chemistry” itself plays a significant role in branding, as it combines the idea of romantic “chemistry” with digital communication. I ensured that the title design and font were consistent across all products, similar to how 'Barbie' used a distinctive and recognisable logo across its campaign. The repetition of the title and tagline across different media platforms helps to reinforce audience recognition and branding.
Additionally, I used recurring visual motifs, such as mobile phones, message notifications, and close-ups of characters reacting to texts. These elements create a strong visual connection between the different products and reinforce the central theme of communication. The consistent use of the same characters across all marketing materials also helps to establish familiarity and continuity.
Overall, the combination of consistent visuals, themes, typography, and imagery ensures that all elements of my campaign work together to create a strong and unified brand identity for 'Textual Chemistry' similar to that I noticed in the marketing campaign for 'Anyone But You'.
How do your products engage with the audience?
Engaging the audience was a priority in my marketing campaign, particularly as my target demographic is teenagers and young adults, who are very active on social media and are digital natives.
One of the most effective ways I engaged my audience was through the interactive texting campaign, where the audience can message a number and receive responses related to the film and win a giveaway, tickets to the premiere.
This immerses the audience and makes them feel part of the narrative and process. Additionally, there was a number that users could call that would give them more information about the film, pushing them to discuss and create speculation online. This approach is similar to viral marketing strategies used in film campaigns that rely heavily on social media interaction to build a fanbase. Taking this approach to engage with my audience was especially effective as the narrative is centered around phone numbers and messaging, strengthening the modern communication theme.
The trailers also play a crucial role in audience engagement by creating enigma and intrigue. The “wrong number” concept immediately raises questions about how the characters will eventually meet and what will happen when their identities are revealed. By withholding key information and using cliffhangers, I encourage the audience to want to watch the film.
I also used a combination of humour and emotional moments to maintain audience interest. Romantic comedies rely heavily on this balance, as seen in films like ‘Notting Hill' and ‘10 Things I Hate About You’, where comedic situations are combined with genuine emotional depth. The use of upbeat non-diegetic music helps to establish the light-hearted tone, while moments of awkwardness and vulnerability make the characters more relatable.
In terms of filming, I used techniques such as close ups, medium close ups and fast-paced cuts to reflect the rhythm of texting conversations. These techniques help to visually represent digital communication in a dynamic way, making the trailers more engaging for the audience.
The social media page further enhances engagement by including a variety of content, such as fake text conversations, character profiles, behind-the-scenes images, and teaser clips. This mirrors real-life marketing campaigns for films like 'The Kissing Booth', which used Instagram to build a strong connection with its audience. By encouraging interaction through comments, shares, and hashtags, the page helps to create a sense of community around the film.
Overall, my products engage the audience by combining interactive elements and relatable themes, creating a compelling and immersive experience.
How did your research inform your products and the way they use or challenge conventions?
Throughout the planning and production process, I logged all of my research onto a blog so that I could quickly and easily refer to my findings when creating my trailers, film poster and social media page. My research into both romantic comedy conventions and film marketing techniques played a crucial role in shaping my final products.
From my research into rom-coms, I identified key conventions such as light-hearted tone, introduction of main characters, humour, romantic themes, and narrative development centred around a relationship. These conventions are evident in films like 'Notting Hill', 'Love, Simon', and '10 Things I Hate About You', and I incorporated them into my trailers and marketing materials to ensure authenticity.
I also researched trailer conventions, noting the importance of production company logos, title cards, music, and narrative structure. These elements are present in my trailers, helping them to feel realistic and professional. Similarly, my poster contains the majority of conventions I found during my research, such as reviews, a tagline, a billing block, production company and sound logos, and the title being the largest copy on the poster.
Analysis of Poster Conventions
However, I also aimed to adapt and modernise conventions by focusing heavily on digital communication. While texting has been used in some films, I made it central to both the narrative and the marketing campaign, particularly through the interactive social media elements. This reflects the evolving nature of relationships in a digital age and makes the film more relevant to contemporary audiences.
My research into real marketing campaigns, particularly those for 'Barbie' and Netflix rom-coms, highlighted the importance of social media engagement and viral marketing, which I incorporated into my campaign.
Overall, my research enabled me to create media products that both follow established conventions of the romantic comedy genre and adapt them to reflect modern themes and audience expectations. feel that I have incorporated not only the conventions of each medium that I discovered during my research, but also many of the narrative and aesthetic conventions of the romantic comedy genre.



















.jpg)













.jpg)



.jpg)






.png)









Comments
Post a Comment