ANALYSING EXISTING REVIEWS ON ROMANTIC COMEDY POSTERS
I am now going to look at existing reviews on romantic comedy posters as in my poster and trailers I will have reviews. I have found some examples of these reviews and I am going to analyse them to see how I can tell the genre from these reviews.
Having looked at all of these reviews on romantic comedy posters, there are two main things that stick out as important in reviews for rom coms. Firstly, the language used is very important within these reviews. Many use emotional, feel good words like 'heartwarming', 'charming', 'sweet', 'uplifting'. They also sometimes use comedy focused words like 'hilarious', 'funny', 'laugh out loud' or 'romance' or relationship terms such as 'perfect chemistry', 'sparks fly', 'a fresh take on love' or 'a modern fairytale'. A lot of these reviews also include the actual genre in the review for example 'the coolest rom com of the year'. It is also sometimes made extremely clear in reviews, such as 'hilarious and heartfelt', that the film belongs to the rom com genre.
The second thing to notice is where these reviews are actually coming from. They usually come from female-oriented magazines and websites as these are the ones that often review rom coms positively, even if by other critics they are seen as cheesy. Examples are: Vanity Fair, Cosmopolitan, Entertainment Weekly, People and Hello. More serious news outlets like the New York Times or The Guardian may sometimes also review rom coms, but often with a more critical tone so they are less likely to appear on a movie poster unless the film is especially well made.





























Comments
Post a Comment